- Performing a new edition of queer slow dance with radical thought with Heather Hermant at the Mountain Standard Time Performative Art Festival Society in Calgary! Super stoked!
- Performing in Kingston, Ontario for the first time! Sep 23-24. More details soon…
- Performing a new edition of queer slow dance with radical thought with Heather Hermant at SummerWorks Performance Festival!
- I will be giving a guest lecture on my work with Butterfly (Asian and Migrant Sex Workers Support Network) on the panel “(t)here” at Concordia University during World Social Forum. Aug 11.
- Performing at Marvellous Grounds event “Queer of Colour Story Mapping & Travel Through Performance”. July 17.
- Performing a site-specific new piece at “MG Remixed: Allatonceness” at the Music Gallery, curated by Rea McNamara. June 11.
- Showing Trans Diary Contemplation Series – #1 Voldemort at YTB Gallery’s Future 33 Exhibition. May 20th – June 11th.
- Phase Two of Butterfly Voices will be presented at Mayworks Festival at Whippersnapper Gallery!
- Performing Never Left Canada (work in progress) at the Blackbox Theatre at Concordia University for Dr. Alice Jim’s class “Postcolonial Theory in Art History: Migration and Mobility in Contemporary Art” on March 9.
- Performing at Edgy Redux: Edgy Cabaret on March 5 at Cabaret Lion d’Or, Montreal. Super stoked to be working with Studio 303.
- I will be speaking on a panel on community-engaged art, “In Practice: Community Engagement and Accessibility in the Arts“, at Concordia University on Feb 17.
- I will be performing a version of The Cartography of Heart Strings at the First Thursday event at the Art Gallery of Toronto on Feb 4.
- Residency at the fabulous Videofag, Toronto. Presentation of a new incarnation of Never Left Canada on Nov 11 (Wed), 8pm. PWYC. Event details here.
- New piece The Cartography of Heart Strings at the Artists Newsstand at Chester subway station, Toronto. OCT 20-25 Installation on exhibit. Performance: Fri Oct 23 (4-7pm), Sat Oct 24 (1-4pm), & Sun Oct 25 (1-4pm). Free except that you would need to be inside the subway station to interact with the lonely soul.
- First ever performance in Hong Kong. Work in Progress on Aug 6, starts at 7pm, at XXX Gallery. Event details here.
- I am performing at Truth be Told: live performance and film at the intersection of fact and fiction on June 11, starts at 9pm, at Revue Cinema (400 Roncesvalles Ave, Toronto, ON M6R 2M9) YTB Gallery brings together a night of performances and screenings entitled Truth Be Told, June 11th at the Revue Cinema. A selection of six young, Toronto-based artists present film, video, and performance work telling histories, jokes, deep truths and canny untruths. Mingling performative disruptions and flowing narratives, these artists play with stories and their dual power— conjuring telling as an insistence on erased histories, or as a method of bending the truth to unsettle and delight. Somewhere in the act of telling, these artists build rich and sumptuous new worlds: cautionary, wish-fulfilling, or utopian. Artists: Sharlene Bamboat, Jessica Kichoncho Karuhanga, Alvis Parsley, Christopher Lacroix, Neil Lapierre, Rebecca Fin Simonetti.
- Curatorial effort with Syrus Marcus Ware – Invited screening at the Critical Ethnic Studies conference at York University. May 2nd, 2:30-4pm. Venue: ACE004 at the Accolade East Building, York University (Keele Campus). Artists: Camille Turner, Danièle Dennis, Dorica Manuel, Elisha Lim, Jessica Karuhanga, Jo SiMalaya Alcampo, Joshua Vettivelu, Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha, Raven Davis. Registration can be found on CESA website. Volunteer at CESA for 4 hours to get free registration.
- I am honoured to be on the jury of Neighbourhood Arts Network’s BMO Seeds Fund having been awarded in the inaugural year. This is the third year of the Award. Congratulating the winners and non-winners while thinking critically about corporate funds for the arts.
- I am on the jury of the Annual Juried Student Exhibition at the Department of Arts, Culture and Media at UTSC (University of Toronto Scarborough). Amazing work by emerging art stars.
- My first ever collaboration with another artist on a solid project, Queer Slow Dance with Radical Thought, was presented at the 36th Rhubarb Festival as part of the CLGA Unarchived, curated by Cole Alvis and Jessica Carmichael at the Canadian Lesbian and Gay Archives on Feb 14 & 15, 2015. Heather Hermant got me involved in this project and now we can’t leave it. This is a touring piece and it is constantly growing with the community’s involvement.
The winter of 2014/15 was a blur…
- Artist Talk @ SKETCH – Working Arts for Street Involved and Homeless Youth. Nov 20. Artscape Youngplace, Toronto.
- Doing a reading for Diaspora Dialogues’ event Goodnight Storytime at Nuit Blanche. My time slot is 1am-2am (Oct 4 late night). Artscape Youngplace, Toronto.
- Performing on a panel at Alliances, a two-day academic conference organized by Ethnocultural Art Histories Research (EAHR). Sep 26. Concordia University, Montreal.
- I’ll be the ringside announcer at the League of Lady Wrestlers as Captain Kernel at Artscape Gibraltar Point on Toronto Island. Sep 6.
- Performing ALIEN IN RESIDENCE – Parallel Life at House of Freaks – A Queer Asian Theatrical Experience. Aug 21. Buddies in Bad Times Theatre.
- I’m proud to be AGO’s Community Artist for the Chinatown BIA Festival 2014. I’ll be at Booth 13 & 14 on both days. July 19 & 20.
- Presenting at Gladstone Hotel for PROOF.SO.GAY – Pecha Kucha Night. July 15.
- Facilitating the morning session of Griffin Centre’s LIMITLESS CONNECTIONS RETREAT for LGBTQ Immigrant and Refugee Youth. July 5. Children’s Peace Theatre.
- Presenting part of the BEFORE AND AFTER exhibits at Relationships and Resistance: Mobilizing our Communities, organized by Critical Ethnic Studies Association (CESA). July 3. Oakdale Community Centre.
- World Pride – Hosting ACAS’ Queer Asian Youth Cabaret (June 28), performing at Unapologetic Burlesque Showcase (Main Stage, June 28) and the Trans* Stage (North Stage, June 29)
- I’ll have an installation/intervention at this year’s THAT’S SO GAY at Gladstone Hotel. Curated by Syrus Marcus Ware. June 20-July 27.
- I’ll be at Encuentro 2014 (Montreal) from June 20 to June 27. I’m presenting at the work group Performing Asian / Americas : Converging Movements (Conveners: Alice Ming Wai Jim, Lok Siu, and Beatrice Glow), performing at the cabaret event Trasnocheo, and giving a walking tour of Montreal’s Chinatown (new piece)!
- Performing at only ONO – a fundraiser for Musicworks. I’ll be interpreting Yoko Ono’s event score – Touch Poem (from Word Events): Touch. June 10. Gallery 345.
- Reading at Diaspora Dialogues’ Writers from the Underground. May 24. Metropolitan United Church.
- Performing at PINK DOT TO – Chinatown Pride March. May 24. Outside Scaddingcourt Community Centre.
- I’m on the cover of Mayworks Festival‘s program! Community Exhibition Before and After at Unpack Studio. May 2-23.
- I’m participating in this year’s Art of the Danforth. Thanks to Festival Director Asad Raza’s invitation. My project ALIEN IN RESIDENCE is part of Rita Kamacho’s curation. May 3, 4, 9, 10.
- My first ever residency at the very generous and supportive lemonTree Creations. I’ll be working with Director Gein Wong on a new piece. Apr 24-30.
- Joining Heels on Wheels The Glitter Roadshow in Montreal and Toronto. April 13-14.
- Got a micro-grant from Toronto Arts Council/Platform A through the Jumblies Theatre to lead three sessions of community arts workshop with a group of Chinese immigrants. March 6, 20, 27. The outcome of the workshop will be shown at Mayworks Festival.
- New piece at Rhubarb Festival. Performing six runs on the opening night. Feb 12.
- Performing at the Queer Russian Cabaret. Feb 1. Videofag.
- Speaking at Trans* Awareness Week at Waterloo University with Elisha Lim. Nov 18.
- Performing a new piece at the first 2013 Long Winter. Nov 8. The Great Hall.
- Performing at the Drag Musical with fellow participants of Catherine Hernandez’s workshop at Asian Art Freedom School. Oct 30. Tranzac.
- Performing Love Behind the Bargain for Camille Turner’s class at University of Toronto. Oct 30.
- Performing a new piece at Strange Sisters, curated by Gein Wong and Kim Crosby. Buddies in Bad Times Theatre. Oct 25.
- Performing at
A Luta Continua & love for the Ugandan Kuchus
A Luta Continua & love for the Ugandan Kuchus. Sep 18. The Steady.